Complex designs require a Designer to produce them. The kind of information the designs contain can only come from an intelligent Agent. This is the Argument from Design. The prequels of this Evidence for God series have extensively discussed the Design Argument.
Evolutionists promote the view that scientists support Evolutionism and that scientists do not believe evidence for design. But this is false. Many eminent scientists accept the Argument from Design.
This article and its prequels/sequels present quotations from a number of scientists who have been convinced by the Argument from Design.
The 17th-century German astronomer Johann Kepler (1571-1630) discovered the laws that describe the movements of the planets. His influence on astronomy has been so great that 400 years later in 2009, NASA named a space mission for him.
Kepler saw the world as a reflection of the mind and order of God. He said,
“The chief aim of all investigations of the external world should be to discover the rational order and harmony which has been imposed on it by God and which He revealed to us in the language of mathematics.”
“Geometry is unique and eternal, a reflection from the mind of God. That mankind shares in it is because man is an image of God.”
Kepler believed that God had created the universe according to a logical plan that man could ascertain through the application of his reasoning powers. Kepler is credited with describing his scientific research and study of the universe as “thinking God’s thoughts after Him.”
Arizona State University physicist and renowned science writer Paul Davies wrote,
“There is for me powerful evidence that there is something going on behind it all… It seems as though somebody has fine-tuned nature’s numbers to make the Universe… The impression of design is overwhelming.”
(Paul Davies, The Cosmic Blueprint, 1989, p. 203)
“The laws [of physics] … seem themselves to be the product of exceedingly ingenious design.”
(Paul Davies, Superforce, 1985, p. 243)
Nobel-prize winning physicist and radio astronomer Arno Penzias is the co-discoverer of the cosmic microwave background radiation. He said,
“Astronomy leads us to a unique event, a universe which was created out of nothing and delicately balanced to provide exactly the conditions required to support life. In the absence of an absurdly-improbable accident, the observations of modern science seem to suggest an underlying, one might say, supernatural plan.”
(From Walter Bradley, The ‘Just-so’ Universe: The Fine-Tuning of Constants and Conditions in the Cosmos, in William Dembski and James Kushiner, eds., Signs of Intelligence, p. 168).
These three eminent scientists conclude from the design of Creation that there must be a Creator. They are implicitly using the Argument from Design as evidence for the existence of God.
Questions to Ponder
- Does the opinion of these three renowned scientists (Johann Kepler, Paul Davies, and Arno Penzias) carry weight with you?
- Do you agree with Paul Davies that “the impression of design is overwhelming” because of the fine-tuning of nature’s constants to make everything work out?
Share your thoughts on these questions in the comments below. It could encourage or help another reader.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the seventeenth article in the Evidence for God series that discusses the question, “Is There Evidence for God?”
Read the prequels:
1. Evidence for God – Can You Answer a 6th-Grader?
2. Evidence for God – Design
3. Evidence for God – Experience
4. Evidence for God – Can You Prove God Exists?
5. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Simple
6. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Logical
7. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Biblical
8. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Old Testament
9. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – New Testament
10. Evidence for God – Stephen King & the Argument from Design
11. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz
12. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 1
13. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 2
14. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 3
15. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 1 – Ben Franklin
16. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 2 – Isaac Newton
Read the sequel:
18. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 4 – Robert Boyle
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:4)
Wednesday October 9, 2013 A.D.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. (Romans 1:18-23)