Why did people ever start living in houses? Camping is so exhilarating!
I’m writing this during a 24-day, 11-state, 3650-mile rolling camping trip to Maine and back — no electricity and cooking over campfires. As fire-master and camp-chef, I’m pleased to report we did 17 evening meals before any repeats.
Everywhere I look on this trip I see evidences of recent creation. Rock layers exposed in highway cuts are sharply demarcated, indicating rapid deposition rather than gradual sediment accumulation over long eons.
Mountain strata are sometimes thousands of feet thick and bent in hairpin shapes without cracks. Evolutionary geologists say these strata were buried and solidified for hundreds of millions of years before they were bent. But surely they were folded when they were still wet, soft, and pliant shortly after deposition. No hundred million years there!
Craggy mountains (Adirondacks in NY, Green in VT, White in NH, Poconos in PA) cannot be the alleged several hundred million years old — they would have completely eroded away in that time. In fact, the entire North American continent, allegedly formed 2.5 billion years ago, would have completely eroded away in 10 million years at today’s erosion rates. No USA for us if the evolutionary timescale were correct!
Moreover, mountains with steep slopes and deep gorges erode much faster than the rest of the continent. New Hampshire’s “Old Man of the Mountain” pictured on its 2000 state quarter is now gone — eroded away. Vermont’s rugged Quechee Gorge can only be thousands of years old, for otherwise it would have eroded into gentle valleys. The very existence of mountains and gorges contradicts evolutionary timescales.
The usual response — that eroded mountains are continually replaced by uplift from below — will not fly. Erosion would remove all layers of sediment, yet evolutionists claim mountain sedimentary layers are hundreds of millions of years old.
The ocean’s continual battering of Maine’s jagged coast would have pounded it into a gently sloping, smooth coastline if this pummeling had been going on for millions of years.
To me earth looks only thousands of years old (with heavy flood damage). Yet others think it’s billions of years old. Who is right?
In Darwin’s day a century and a half ago, earth had been “proven” scientifically to be 20 million years old. Today it has been “proven” scientifically to be 4.67 billion years old. What will the scientifically “proven” age be in 100 years? Will it be in the trillions?
In previous blogs I argued that radiometric dating, the primary argument supporting billion-year-ages, is invalid and meaningless. Is there positive evidence supporting the Biblical timeframe of thousands of years? Definitely. Subsequent blog posts will give examples.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the 37th in a series of blog posts on the Age of the Earth. I began with the Biblical testimony that the earth is 6,000 years old, because the evidence from nature should be interpreted and understood in the light of clear Biblical truth. The prequels have considered the issue’s importance, what Jesus thought, the Genesis genealogies, and the historic teaching of the church. Current articles are discussing scientific evidence on the age of the earth, explaining fallacies of radiometric dating methods and giving examples of scientific methods which yield short ages.
Read the prequels:
1. How Old Is the Earth?
2. Why Is the Age of the Earth Important?
3. Earth: Young or Old?
4. Age of the Earth—Jesus’ View
5. Age of the Earth—Jesus Interpreted OT Literally
6. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus Say?
7. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus’ Contemporaries Think?
8. Age of the Earth—Genealogies
9. Age of the Earth—What Does Begat Mean?
10. Age of the Earth—Interlocking Genealogies
11. Age of the Earth—Any Gaps in Genealogies?
12. Age of the Earth—No Gaps in Genealogies
13. Age of the Earth—Any Missing Generations?
14. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Adam to Noah)
15. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Noah to Abraham)
16. Age of the Earth—Luke’s Testimony
17. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Puzzle
18. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Explanation
19. Age of the Earth—Add It Up
20. Age of the Earth—6,000 Years Old
21. Age of the Earth—History’s View
22. Age of the Earth—Church Fathers’ Opinion
23. Age of the Earth—Josephus, Luther, Calvin
24. Age of the Earth—Archbishop Ussher
25. Age of the Earth—Prof. James Strong
26. Age of the Earth—Kepler & Newton
27. Age of the Earth—Dr. William Hales
28. Age of the Earth—Prof. Leupold
29. Age of the Earth—Prof. Barr
30. Age of the Earth—History’s Opinion
31. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating
32. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clocks
33. Age of the Earth—Radioactive Decay Clocks
34. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating Fallacies
35. Age of the Earth—Invalid Radiometric Dates
36. Age of the Earth—Therefore…
Read the sequel:
38. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clock Ages
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
“for the defense of the gospel”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:5; Phil 1:16)
Monday October 20, 2008 A.D.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:11 NASB)