A scientific clock is a natural process proceeding steadily through time converting parent components into daughter components. Scientists estimate the length of time an isolated process has been running based on an assumed uniform process rate, estimated initial conditions, and measured current conditions. (See 32. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clocks for details on how scientific process clocks work.)
Scientific clocks cannot be used to determine earth’s exact age, but they may be used to determine upper limits on the age. That is, they may be used to conclude that the earth cannot be older than a calculated value (upper limit). The weight of the scientific evidence is that the earth is thousands, not billions, of years old. Hundreds of different processes, in addition to those of radioactive decay, have been used to estimate the age of the earth. Most give limits on the order of 100,000 years or less. Many yield limits of 10,000 years or less. None (except radiometric methods) give limiting values greater than 500 million years.
The commonly accepted age of 4.6 billion years is about 10 times greater than the largest values produced by non-radioactive processes. Evolutionists publicize only those processes which yield the largest limits. The reason is their prior philosophical commitment to evolutionism with its requirement for great ages.
Subsequent posts will discuss the accuracy of scientific clocks and give examples of clocks that give short ages consistent with the Biblical record.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the 38th in a series of blog posts on the Age of the Earth. I began with the Biblical testimony that the earth is 6,000 years old, because the evidence from nature should be interpreted and understood in the light of clear Biblical truth. The prequels have considered the issue’s importance, what Jesus thought, the Genesis genealogies, and the historic teaching of the church. Current articles are discussing scientific evidence on the age of the earth, explaining fallacies of radiometric dating methods and giving examples of scientific methods which yield short ages in line with the Biblical record.
Read the prequels:
1. How Old Is the Earth?
2. Why Is the Age of the Earth Important?
3. Earth: Young or Old?
4. Age of the Earth—Jesus’ View
5. Age of the Earth—Jesus Interpreted OT Literally
6. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus Say?
7. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus’ Contemporaries Think?
8. Age of the Earth—Genealogies
9. Age of the Earth—What Does Begat Mean?
10. Age of the Earth—Interlocking Genealogies
11. Age of the Earth—Any Gaps in Genealogies?
12. Age of the Earth—No Gaps in Genealogies
13. Age of the Earth—Any Missing Generations?
14. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Adam to Noah)
15. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Noah to Abraham)
16. Age of the Earth—Luke’s Testimony
17. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Puzzle
18. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Explanation
19. Age of the Earth—Add It Up
20. Age of the Earth—6,000 Years Old
21. Age of the Earth—History’s View
22. Age of the Earth—Church Fathers’ Opinion
23. Age of the Earth—Josephus, Luther, Calvin
24. Age of the Earth—Archbishop Ussher
25. Age of the Earth—Prof. James Strong
26. Age of the Earth—Kepler & Newton
27. Age of the Earth—Dr. William Hales
28. Age of the Earth—Prof. Leupold
29. Age of the Earth—Prof. Barr
30. Age of the Earth—History’s Opinion
31. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating
32. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clocks
33. Age of the Earth—Radioactive Decay Clocks
34. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating Fallacies
35. Age of the Earth—Invalid Radiometric Dates
36. Age of the Earth—Therefore…
37. Age of the Earth—Evidences
Read the sequel:
39. Age of the Earth—Accuracy of Scientific Clocks
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
“for the defense of the gospel”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:5; Phil 1:16)
Thursday October 23, 2008 A.D.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:11 NASB)