Which clocks are more likely to be accurate on the age of the earth — clocks giving low ages or clocks giving high ages?
Clocks yielding low limits are more likely to be accurate than those yielding high limits for these reasons:
1. If the original state is different from the assumed initial conditions, this will have less influence on the process over a short time period than over a long time period, thereby producing less error.
2. The assumption that the process system is isolated from outside influences is more likely to be true over a short time period than over a long time period.
3. The assumption that the process rate is uniform is more likely to be valid for a short time than for a long time.
When evaluating conflicting results from different clocks, it’s important to assess the likelihood that the basic assumptions hold true for the processes upon which the clocks are based. The longer the process continues, the less likely the assumptions continue to remain valid. Processes for which the assumptions are most likely to remain valid, such as the decay of the earth’s magnetic field, give limits on the order of 10,000 years.
Moreover, a legitimate lower value for an upper limit on the age of the earth is more informative than a higher value. Thus in the face of conflicting age values, it seems most reasonable to accept lower age limits rather than upper limits.
Subsequent posts will give examples of scientific clocks that give short ages consistent with the Biblical record.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the 39th in a series of blog posts on the Age of the Earth. I began with the Biblical testimony that the earth is 6,000 years old, because the evidence from nature should be interpreted and understood in the light of clear Biblical truth. The prequels have considered the issue’s importance, what Jesus thought, the Genesis genealogies, and the historic teaching of the church. Current articles are discussing scientific evidence on the age of the earth, explaining fallacies of radiometric dating methods and giving examples of scientific methods which yield short ages in line with the Biblical record.
Read the prequels:
1. How Old Is the Earth?
2. Why Is the Age of the Earth Important?
3. Earth: Young or Old?
4. Age of the Earth—Jesus’ View
5. Age of the Earth—Jesus Interpreted OT Literally
6. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus Say?
7. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus’ Contemporaries Think?
8. Age of the Earth—Genealogies
9. Age of the Earth—What Does Begat Mean?
10. Age of the Earth—Interlocking Genealogies
11. Age of the Earth—Any Gaps in Genealogies?
12. Age of the Earth—No Gaps in Genealogies
13. Age of the Earth—Any Missing Generations?
14. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Adam to Noah)
15. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Noah to Abraham)
16. Age of the Earth—Luke’s Testimony
17. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Puzzle
18. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Explanation
19. Age of the Earth—Add It Up
20. Age of the Earth—6,000 Years Old
21. Age of the Earth—History’s View
22. Age of the Earth—Church Fathers’ Opinion
23. Age of the Earth—Josephus, Luther, Calvin
24. Age of the Earth—Archbishop Ussher
25. Age of the Earth—Prof. James Strong
26. Age of the Earth—Kepler & Newton
27. Age of the Earth—Dr. William Hales
28. Age of the Earth—Prof. Leupold
29. Age of the Earth—Prof. Barr
30. Age of the Earth—History’s Opinion
31. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating
32. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clocks
33. Age of the Earth—Radioactive Decay Clocks
34. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating Fallacies
35. Age of the Earth—Invalid Radiometric Dates
36. Age of the Earth—Therefore…
37. Age of the Earth—Evidences
38. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clock Ages
Read the sequel:
40. Age of the Earth—Diamonds & Carbon-14
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
“for the defense of the gospel”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:5; Phil 1:16)
Wednesday October 29, 2008 A.D.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:11 NASB)