German mathematician Karl Gauss first measured earth’s magnetic field in 1835. Repeated measurements since show the field is decaying with a half-life of about 1400 years.
No evolutionary theory exists to explain both the present rapid decay of the field and how it could have existed for billions of years.
A sound creationist theory exists that accounts for all the observed phenomena. This model explains the source of the magnetic field as freely circulating electrical currents in the core of the earth.
Twenty thousand years ago, the magnetic field would have been so strong that the current necessary to generate it would have produced enough heat to melt the earth. Ten thousand years ago, the strength of the earth’s magnetic field would have been comparable to that of a magnetic star—a highly unlikely scenario. This places an upper limit of 10,000 years on the age of the earth.
The process clock assumptions seem quite reasonable for the magnetic field clock. What could affect the huge electrical currents circulating deep in the core of the earth that generate the magnetic field? This process is certainly as isolated from outside influence or contamination as any process known to man. Moreover, since the half-life is a function of the electrical resistance of earth’s core, it should remain constant. Finally, the limit placed on the initial size of the magnetic field seems unarguable. Earth’s magnetic field provides compelling scientific evidence for an earth well under 10,000 years old.
A major benefit of earth’s magnetic field is that it protects against damaging cosmic radiation by deflecting harmful rays. Prior to Noah’s Flood the magnetic field would have been over 10 times stronger than today. This no doubt significantly contributed to the Genesis patriarchs’ longevity.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the 43rd in a series of blog posts on the Age of the Earth. I began with the Biblical testimony that the earth is 6,000 years old, because the evidence from nature should be interpreted and understood in the light of clear Biblical truth. The prequels have considered the issue’s importance, what Jesus thought, the Genesis genealogies, and the historic teaching of the church. Current articles are discussing scientific evidence on the age of the earth, explaining fallacies of radiometric dating methods and giving examples of scientific methods which yield age limits in line with the Biblical record of a 6,000-year-old earth.
Read the prequels:
1. How Old Is the Earth?
2. Why Is the Age of the Earth Important?
3. Earth: Young or Old?
4. Age of the Earth—Jesus’ View
5. Age of the Earth—Jesus Interpreted OT Literally
6. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus Say?
7. Age of the Earth—What Did Jesus’ Contemporaries Think?
8. Age of the Earth—Genealogies
9. Age of the Earth—What Does Begat Mean?
10. Age of the Earth—Interlocking Genealogies
11. Age of the Earth—Any Gaps in Genealogies?
12. Age of the Earth—No Gaps in Genealogies
13. Age of the Earth—Any Missing Generations?
14. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Adam to Noah)
15. Age of the Earth—Scriptural Confirmation (Noah to Abraham)
16. Age of the Earth—Luke’s Testimony
17. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Puzzle
18. Age of the Earth—Luke & Cainan Explanation
19. Age of the Earth—Add It Up
20. Age of the Earth—6,000 Years Old
21. Age of the Earth—History’s View
22. Age of the Earth—Church Fathers’ Opinion
23. Age of the Earth—Josephus, Luther, Calvin
24. Age of the Earth—Archbishop Ussher
25. Age of the Earth—Prof. James Strong
26. Age of the Earth—Kepler & Newton
27. Age of the Earth—Dr. William Hales
28. Age of the Earth—Prof. Leupold
29. Age of the Earth—Prof. Barr
30. Age of the Earth—History’s Opinion
31. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating
32. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clocks
33. Age of the Earth—Radioactive Decay Clocks
34. Age of the Earth—Radiometric Dating Fallacies
35. Age of the Earth—Invalid Radiometric Dates
36. Age of the Earth—Therefore…
37. Age of the Earth—Evidences
38. Age of the Earth—Scientific Clock Ages
39. Age of the Earth—Accuracy of Scientific Clocks
40. Age of the Earth—Diamonds & Carbon-14
41. Age of the Earth—Oceans
42. Age of the Earth—DNA
Read the sequel:
44. Age of the Earth—Population
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
“for the defense of the gospel”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:5; Phil 1:16)
Monday November 10, 2008 A.D.
For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20:11 NASB)