Complex designs require a Designer to produce them. The kind of information the designs contain can only come from an intelligent Agent. This is the Argument from Design. The prequels of this Evidence for God series have extensively discussed the Design Argument.
Evolutionists promote the view that scientists support Evolutionism and that scientists do not believe evidence for design. But this is false. Many eminent scientists accept the Argument from Design.
This article and its prequels/sequels present quotations from a number of scientists who have been convinced by the Argument from Design.
The most famous scientist of the 20th century is the author of its most famous equation E = mc2. Physicist Albert Einstein is best known for his development of the theory of relativity. He won the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics for his discovery of the photoelectric effect.
Einstein recognized that the complexity of nature pointed to a master Designer. He said,
“The scientist is possessed by the sense of universal causation … His religious feeling takes the form of a rapturous amazement at the harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such superiority that, compared with it, all the systematic thinking and acting of human beings is an utterly insignificant reflection.”
(From The Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press)
“My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble minds. That deeply emotional conviction of the presence of a superior reasoning power, which is revealed in the incomprehensible universe, forms my idea of God.”
(From The Quotable Einstein, Princeton University Press)
“I’m not an atheist, and I don’t think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn’t know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see the universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations.”
(From Einstein and Religion by Max Jammer, Princeton University Press)
Physical chemist Ilya Prigogine (1917–2003) won the 1977 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Throughout his career he was awarded 53 honorary degrees. Prigogine concluded from statistical analysis that the accidental development of living structures was impossible. He wrote,
“The statistical probability that organic structures and the most precisely harmonized reactions that typify living organisms would be generated by accident, is zero.”
(Joint paper by I. Prigogine, N. Gregair, A. Babbyabtz, Physics Today 25, pp. 23-28.)
Physicist Richard Morris (1939-2003) is best known for writing a series of over 20 mainstream science books that have been translated and published worldwide. He specialized in explaining abstract scientific ideas to the general public. He wrote,
“How is it that common elements such as carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen happened to have just the kind of atomic structure that they needed to combine to make the molecules upon which life depends? It is almost as though the universe had been consciously designed.”
(Richard Morris, The Fate of the Universe, 1982, p. 28)
These three scientists, two Nobel Prize winners and one prolific science expositor, recognized the signs of design in the universe. They implicitly used the Argument from Design to conclude there must be a Creator.
Questions to Ponder
- Does the opinion of these three renowned scientists (Albert Einstein, Ilya Prigogine, and Richard Morris) carry weight with you?
- Do you agree with Nobel Prize winner Prigogene that the probability of accidental development of the structures and reactions in living organisms is ZERO (that is, it could never happen)?
Share your thoughts on these questions in the comments below. It could encourage or help another reader.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the nineteenth article in the Evidence for God series that discusses the question, “Is There Evidence for God?”
Read the prequels:
1. Evidence for God – Can You Answer a 6th-Grader?
2. Evidence for God – Design
3. Evidence for God – Experience
4. Evidence for God – Can You Prove God Exists?
5. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Simple
6. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Logical
7. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Biblical
8. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Old Testament
9. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – New Testament
10. Evidence for God – Stephen King & the Argument from Design
11. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz
12. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 1
13. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 2
14. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 3
15. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 1 – Ben Franklin
16. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 2 – Isaac Newton
17. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 3 – Johann Kepler
18. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 4 – Robert Boyle
Read the sequel:
20. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 6 – Fred Hoyle
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:4)
Wednesday October 23, 2013 A.D.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. (Romans 1:18-23)