Complex designs require a Designer to produce them. The kind of information the designs contain can only come from an intelligent Agent. This is the Argument from Design. The prequels of this Evidence for God series have extensively discussed the Design Argument.
Evolutionists promote the view that scientists support Evolutionism and that scientists do not believe evidence for design. But this is false. Many eminent scientists accept the Argument from Design.
This article and its prequels/sequels present quotations from a number of scientists who have been convinced by the Argument from Design.
Harold C. Urey
American chemist Harold C. Urey (1893–1981) won the 1934 Nobel Prize in Chemistry for the discovery of deuterium. Deuterium, or heavy hydrogen, is a stable isotope of hydrogen which is an essential component of nuclear bombs and nuclear power plants.
Urey is best-known for his participation in the Miller-Urey experiment in 1953. He and his University of Chicago graduate student Stanley Miller assumed earth’s early atmosphere was solely composed of ammonia, methane, and hydrogen.
Miller exposed this conjectured “early atmosphere” to electric sparks and water and produced a few amino acids, the building blocks of proteins. Of course, several amino acids is a long way from generating proteins which typically have hundreds of amino acids. And even a protein is a long way from life. Nevertheless, the experiment was ballyhooed as an “origin of life” experiment.
Today the atmosphere assumed by Miller and Urey is no longer accepted as correct for the early earth. Oxides in rocks show that oxygen was present at the beginning. This is where evolutionary thinking led Miller and Urey astray in the design of their experiment. An oxidizing atmosphere would destroy the amino acids as they formed, so they assumed oxygen was not present.
However, the Genesis record indicates that the early atmosphere definitely contained carbon dioxide and oxygen, because plants which require carbon dioxide and which emit oxygen were created on Day 3. Birds and animals which which use oxygen and emit carbon dioxide were created on Days 5 & 6.
Miller did not use natural sunlight because it destroys amino acids. He used a selected wavelength of UV light and removed the amino acids from the mixture upon formation in order to prevent their rapid decomposition. Yet the Genesis record reports sunlight present on Day 4.
The Miller-Urey experiment does not show that life could have evolved naturally. It actually shows that life could not have emerged naturally without a Creator. See Problems with Miller-Urey for a detailed review of the experiment and a discussion of how it failed in its objective.
Urey was a scientist whose achievements and influence spanned the fields of chemistry, astronomy, astrophysics, geology, geophysics, and biology. He was a die-hard evolutionist and origin-of-life researcher, yet he could not escape the natural force of the Argument from Design. He admitted that he was an evolutionist, not because of evidence, but by faith. Urey said,
“All of us who study the origin of life find that the more we look into it, the more we feel that it is too complex to have evolved anywhere. But we believe as an article of faith that life evolved from dead matter on this planet. It is just that its complexity is so great, that it is hard for us to imagine that it did.”
(Quoted in Christian Science Monitor, January 4, 1962, p. 4.)
Urey’s comment highlights that no matter what position one takes on origins, it is a position taken by faith. Commitment to any theory of origins requires faith.
Questions to Ponder
- Nobel prize winner Harold Urey‘s statement included all origin-of-life researchers as unable to evade the force of the Argument from Design. Does the strength of the Argument from Design in the minds of this large group of scientists influence your opinion of the Design Argument?
- What is your opinion of the Miller-Urey experiment? What do you think it demonstrates?
- If intelligent scientists do create life in a laboratory someday after decades of research and hard work, how does that prove it doesn’t take intelligence to create life?
Share your thoughts on these questions in the comments below. It could encourage or help another reader.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the 21st article in the Evidence for God series that discusses the question,
“Is There Evidence for God?”
Read the prequels:
1. Evidence for God – Can You Answer a 6th-Grader?
2. Evidence for God – Design
3. Evidence for God – Experience
4. Evidence for God – Can You Prove God Exists?
5. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Simple
6. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Logical
7. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Biblical
8. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Old Testament
9. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – New Testament
10. Evidence for God – Stephen King & the Argument from Design
11. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz
12. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 1
13. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 2
14. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 3
15. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 1 – Ben Franklin
16. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 2 – Isaac Newton
17. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 3 – Johann Kepler
18. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 4 – Robert Boyle
19. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 5 – Albert Einstein
20. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 6 – Fred Hoyle
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:4)
Wednesday November 6, 2013 A.D.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. (Romans 1:18-23)