Complex designs require a Designer to produce them. The kind of information the designs contain can only come from an intelligent Agent. This is the Argument from Design. The prequels of this Evidence for God series have extensively discussed the Design Argument.
Evolutionists promote the view that scientists support Evolutionism and that scientists do not believe evidence for design. But this is false. Many eminent scientists accept the Argument from Design.
This article and its prequels/sequels present quotations from a number of prominent scientists who have been convinced by the Argument from Design.
Robert Andrews Millikan
Robert A. Millikan (1868–1953) was one of the most respected physicists of the 20th century.
He was awarded 25 honorary doctorates and many prestigious medals for his scientific work.
He won the 1923 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work determining the electric charge on the electron.
As president of Caltech for almost 25 years, Millikan turned the school into one of America’s leading research institutions.
Robert Millikan credited “the Great Architect” with designing “this amazing plan of creation.” When challenged that life and nature result from “blind, unintelligent chance,” Millikan replied by quoting Psalm 14:1, “The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.” Instead of calling Creation an accident, he credited and thanked God.
(Robert Millikan, The Autobiography of Robert A. Millikan, Prentice-Hall, 1950, p. 264.)
Millikan said the laws of physics revealed “a God not of caprice and whim, such as were all the gods of the ancient world, but a god who works through law.” He said God created
“a nature of orderliness, and a nature capable of being known; a nature, too, whose functioning might be predicted, a nature which could be relied upon; a nature, also, of possibly unlimited forces, capable of being discovered, and then of being harnessed for the benefit of mankind.”
(Robert Millikan, Evolution in Science and Religion, Yale Univ Press, 1927, p. 39–40.)
The human brain profoundly impressed Millikan as proof of a Creator:
“The most amazing thing in all life, the greatest miracle there is, is the fact that a mind has got here at all, ‘created out of the dust of the earth.’ This is the Bible phrase, and science today can find no better way to describe it.”
(Robert Millikan, Evolution in Science and Religion, Yale Univ Press, 1927, p. 69.)
Millikan was simultaneously a devout Christian and a renowned scientific researcher. Belief in God the Creator was in harmony with his scientific study. Addressing the American Chemical Society, he said “Everyone who reflects believes in God.” He had no patience that “many scientists are trying to prove the doctrine of evolution, which no scientist can do.”
(Robert Millikan’s Address to the American Chemical Society Meeting, The Commentator, June 1937.)
Nobel Laureate Robert Millikan recognized the signs of design in the universe. He implicitly used the Argument from Design to conclude there must be a Creator.
Questions to Ponder
- Does the opinion of this renowned Nobel Laureate (Robert Millikan) carry weight with you?
- The human brain is the most complex entity known to man in the universe. Do you agree with Millikan that it is strong evidence of a Creator? Why or why not?
- Millikan saw the order and reliability of nature as evidence of an Author that he called “the Great Architect.” Do the laws of nature which scientists seek to discover and understand point to an Originator?
Share your thoughts on these questions in the comments below. It could encourage or help another reader.
Soli Deo Gloria.
This is the 24th article in the Evidence for God series that discusses the question,
“Is There Evidence for God?”
Read the prequels:
1. Evidence for God – Can You Answer a 6th-Grader?
2. Evidence for God – Design
3. Evidence for God – Experience
4. Evidence for God – Can You Prove God Exists?
5. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Simple
6. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Logical
7. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Biblical
8. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – Old Testament
9. Evidence for God – Design Is Best Argument for God – New Testament
10. Evidence for God – Stephen King & the Argument from Design
11. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz
12. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 1
13. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 2
14. Evidence for God – Astronomy Quiz Answers 3
15. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 1 – Ben Franklin
16. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 2 – Isaac Newton
17. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 3 – Johann Kepler
18. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 4 – Robert Boyle
19. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 5 – Albert Einstein
20. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 6 – Fred Hoyle
21. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 7 – Harold Urey
22. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 8 – Charles Townes
23. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 9 – A. E. Wilder-Smith
Read the sequel:
25. Evidence for God – Design Convinces Scientists 11 – Rick Smalley
Subscribe – Don’t miss future blog posts!
Click the sidebar’s “SUBSCRIBE” button to follow the
Bible-Science Guy Blog. You’ll automatically receive
new posts free by email. Click SUBSCRIBE NOW!
©William T. Pelletier, Ph.D.
“contending earnestly for the faith”
“destroying speculations against the knowledge of God”
(Jude 1:3; 2 Cor 10:4)
Wednesday November 27, 2013 A.D.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the incorruptible God for an image in the form of corruptible man and of birds and four-footed animals and crawling creatures. (Romans 1:18-23)